One of the most frequently asked questions that I receive during wedding season is “Soooo, what do you do if it RAINS?!”. We all know that here in Houston the weather forecast can change from one minute to the next, so I always have a rainy day back up plan.
Before I tell you how I handle rain on a wedding day, let me give you some background information. You have probably heard that rain on your wedding day is good luck, right? But do you know the reason behind it? Well, I wondered, so I did a little research.
Here are a few beliefs about what rain on your wedding day can mean:
- Your marriage will last! When a knot becomes wet, it is hard to untie. Thus, when you “tie the knot” on your wedding day, it means your marriage will last and not unravel. This Hindu belief not only means your marriage is strong, the rain signifies abundance & fortune.
- It is a sign of fertility! Rains waters the ground promoting growth for the plants and vegetation thus many believe it is a sign you will have children.
- Cleansing and renewal! Many believe the rain signifies a “washing away” or cleansing of any difficult or sad time in the past, followed by renewal and the start of a new beginning.
I want to reassure you that, even if it rains, you will still have beautiful portraits and BRIGHT colors in your images! Overcast skies mean vibrant colors! I know that rain isn’t ideal, and no bride would wish for rain on their big day, but if it happens, it happens….. and it’s going to be JUST fine!! Some of our best weddings have been on rainy wedding days!
Here are a few things to remember:
- All I need to create natural light portraits on a rainy wedding day is a porch. Just one porch!
- Let me worry about the pictures. You have enough to think about. If there is a chance of rain, I’ll be sure to do some extra scouting to find a covered location or two, for us to use for you first look, romantic portraits and bridal party portraits.
- Take it one step at a time. Don’t think about your entire day and what will happen if it rains. That will only overwhelm you! Definitely have a rain plan for your venue, but then let your vendors do the work of handling the rest of the day if rain is in the forecast.
- Umbrellas. You have seen the photos with the bride and groom under the cute, clear bubble umbrella, right? You can count on me to have those on hand, just in case. Confession: I have been known to leave an umbrella or two behind at a venue, so rest assured, I keep plenty in stock at my office!
- What comes after a good rain? A RAINBOW, a beautiful symbol of hope.
- A great story! A rainy day wedding will make for a story that no one will ever forget.
Unfortunately, we can’t control the weather but we can control our emotions, so whatever you do, don’t let the rain spoil your day. I promise, we will make the best of it and I will capture beautiful images of you as husband and wife.
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…It’s about learning to dance in the rain.”
Vivian Greene, 2006